Give me the gay!

Another irksome idea that occurs often in television and film, not just in children’s books, is the presence of a lone queer person or couple. I get so excited when I read about a new show and its authentically queer character (played by a queer actor, the character is happy and not going to die, etc.—you know, all the big boxes being checked), and then I watch the show, and yes, it is cool to see the representation, but then I am left wondering, “Where are all the queer friends?” I love to see women only romance and sex, but then the character goes out with all of her straight friends to talk about it, while they drink at straight bars and everyone acts like it is normal to have just one queer friend in the group. In children’s books, one might be lucky to see a same sex couple parenting, but it is rare to have more queer characters in the same book. Naidoo and Lynch argue that this actually starts to “other” the LGBTQ couple, if they consistently appear alongside a straight couple and there are zero other LGBTQ couples acknowledged, when they should be seen as just another couple in the story (37). What is the implication here? Is it laziness? Censorship? Naidoo and Lynch claim that this “implies that these couples exist only by themselves and do not interact socially with other families” (37) and that instead of painting accurate pictures of LGBTQ couples, it is an attempt to mollify censors by not having a book be “too gay” (38). Meanwhile, I am the parent yelling into the void, “Give me the too gay! I want the too gay book!” Or rather, I want the children’s book that is just too bisexual to be acceptable. Since more LGBTQ books are addressing fertility and the process for same sex couples to achieve parenthood, it would be lovely and affirming if bi parents were featured in these books. The obstacles faced by same sex couples undergoing fertility treatments are many; it would probably even be helpful for adults to have access to a children’s book breaking the process down and providing a hopeful and joyful reminder of what is possible.